Coastal Navigation and Tidal Planning
This course is designed for those paddlers carrying out coastal journeys including islands up to 2 nautical miles offshore in areas of tidal movement up to 2 knots and winds of up to force 4, and is suitable for those seeking their 4 star award sea.
The course is designed to complement the areas covered in the 4 star leader training.
Duration: 1/2 day (4-5 hours)
Requirement: NFP basic WetCard
Meetingpoint: 10.00 AM, Lofoten Aktiv AS base
Evaluation: To get Wetcard, you must attend all the activities mentioned above.
- The aim of this course is to give the student the tools to enable them to plan and navigate effectively on coastal journeys in moderate sea conditions. This will include the following aspects:
- To interpret sources of information including maps, charts, coastal pilots and tide tables.
- To navigate on the water using visual references and simple pilotage techniques e.g. transits, dead reckoning and a compass.
- To be able to source, interpret and apply a weather forecast to the marine environment.
- By the end of the course each student should have planned at least 2 coastal journeys that they can take home as references for further trip planning.
- Students should also be aware of the range of resources they require to plan trips in the coastal environment.
Although it is not part of the syllabus of the course, students should be made aware of the role of the Coastguard and the value of liaising with them.
Course Info Kayak
Seakayaking courses or guided tour?
All our coaches are approved by the Norwegian paddling society as activity leaders, tour managers or tutors.
All our trainers have extensive experience.
Lofoten Aktiv have insurance that covers all courses and activities.